An interview with Dr Claudia Schmid-Schoenbein
MBA Program Director, Swiss Centre, Univ. of Strathclyde Business School
About Strathclyde Business School
The University of Strathclyde Business School is internationally respected as one of the most innovative business schools in Europe. Strathclyde has provided an extensive range of high-quality management education for 50 years and for over 40 years has offered the Master of Business Administration programme – being the first MBA in the UK.
The Strathclyde MBA program has been operated in Switzerland since 1996
Could you tell us about your MBA program?
- It is one of only 33 Business Schools worldwide or less than 1% that holds the three top international accreditations: EQUIS, AACSB & AMBA.
- The Strathclyde MBA is among the Top 20 in the Financial Times European Business School Ranking 2008 and therefore No. 2 of all MBA programmes taught in Switzerland.
- The UK Research Assessment Exercise (RAE) 2008 reveals Strathclyde Business School as being top in Scotland - by a long way - and rated in the top 10 UK-wide in the latest comprehensive rating of research.
- It has been ranked No. 13 in the FT MBA ranking 2008.
- There are many options to study in Zurich and at the other 8 international centres in the growing markets of South East Asia, the Gulf Region and in Europe.
- 100% teaching is done in English by Strathclyde faculty at the Zurich Airport Conference Centre.
- It is the MBA programme in Strategic Management
- Scholarships for women, entrepreneurs and young families are available.
Who are the participants to your MBA programme?
Our participants mainly hold middle to senior management positions, in big multinationals or SMEs. They also hold top professional positions as economists, scientists, engineers, architects, medical doctors, pharmacists etc. They have varied nationalities and come from Africa, Asia, Europe, North and South America.
What is different about your programme and your school’s approach to business education?
- Proven academic excellence whereby management and leadership skills are systematically developed.
- Quality learning experience of a hands-on approach, very practically oriented.
- Quality course material and delivery (textbooks used by students on our programme and in other schools are authored by academics who teach on our programme.
- An integrated MBA structure in which delivery of the program is flexible: once or twice a month over the weekend. Students can take seminars, or exams at all 9 centres below:
In Europe: Switzerland & Greece.
In South East Asia: Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore.
Gulf Region: Bahrain, Dubai, Oman, Abu Dhabi
- The faculty has more than 200 academics. These academics do research work that is used extensively across the globe – influencing both teaching and management practice.
- Student numbers:
Undergraduate – 2829
Postgraduate (Research) - 118
Postgraduate (taught) including students in the 9 centres – 1411
- Class sizes in the Swiss Centre: per intake 10-15 (with partner classes full class size goes up to 20 – 30 students per seminar)
- A vibrant international Strathclyde MBA alumni network of 8,000.
Do you have any advice for students looking to get an MBA?
One should take into consideration the faculty that teaches on the programme. At the end of the day it comes down to who is standing in front of the class delivering the lecture or weekend seminar. It is also advisable to choose a program that gives you the flexibility to stay in your job and still pursue your personal development goals.
What is your school doing to remain at the forefront of business and management thinking?
The focus or keyword here is research(see our latest top results in RAE 2008), work by faculty and students and the maintenance of quality standards. A lot of effort is being put in by the University of Strathclyde Business School community worldwide to enhance the quality control process.
The MBA program and course material are regularly updated to take into account the current trends in the field of business management.
Dr Claudia Schmid-Schoenbein
It is one of only 33 Business Schools Worldwide whose MBA programme has the Triple Crown international accreditations EQUIS, AACSB & AMBA. The Strathclyde MBA was the first of its kind in the UK; it remains one of the most mature of European MBA courses, and is now taught in 9 centres around the world.