Cornell University - Johnson Cornell Tech MBA
Cornell Tech campus - Roosevelt Island
Cornell Tech, in partnership with the Technion-Israel Institute of Technology and the City of New York, is the graduate tech campus of Cornell University in New York City. Cornell Tech offers one-year master’s degrees in computer science, electrical and computer engineering, law, and operations research and information engineering as well as an accelerated MBA through the S.C. Johnson Graduate School of Management. Cornell Tech also offers 2 two-year Technion-Cornell Dual Master’s degrees in connective media and health tech. All Master’s students participate in Studio, a collaborative project-based curriculum, to build products for real companies and create original startups.
Located on Manhattan’s Roosevelt Island, Cornell Tech is redefining graduate education for the digital age and revolutionizing tech’s impact on our local and global communities.
For more information about Cornell Tech, visit https://tech.cornell.edu/.
A one-year, tech-focused MBA in the heart of NYC, the Johnson Cornell Tech MBA provides the knowledge, hands-on experience, and network needed to manage product teams, better understand the startup and tech ecosystems, and lead dynamic tech companies in our evolving digital age.
Johnson Cornell Tech MBA students first spend their summer in Ithaca (with other MBA students at the S.C. Johnson Graduate School of Management) studying a rigorous curriculum that includes core business courses and leadership training. The fall and spring are spent at Cornell Tech's campus on Roosevelt Island, where students take courses in fields relating to technical entrepreneurship and product management and collaborate with Cornell Tech master's students in Studio, an unprecedented interdisciplinary curriculum that combines entrepreneurship, product design, management, prototyping, and more to create new products and startup businesses. Johnson Cornell Tech graduates go on to secure post-graduate employment at mature and startup tech companies or start their own businesses.
Johnson Cornell Tech MBA Class of 2019 Profile
- Enrolled: 62
- Average age: 29
- Women students: 41%
- Underrepresented minorities: 9%
(Black/African American, Native American, and Hispanic American)
- U.S. minorities: 24%
(Asian American, Black/African American, Native American, and Hispanic American)
- Countries represented: 13
- International students: 42%
- Average GMAT: 694
- GMAT range (middle 80%): 630-750
- GRE-V range (middle 80%): 152-168
- Average undergraduate GPA: 3.42
- Undergraduate GPA (middle 80%): 3.04–3.8
- Average years of work experience: 5.5
- Years of work experience (middle 80%): 3–8 years
- Computer engineering and computer science: 13%
- Electrical engineering: 9%
- Engineering: 9%
- Business administration: 8%
- Economics: 6%
- Other: 55%
- Technology: 59%
- Healthcare: 10%
- Consulting: 7%
- Entertainment/Media: 3%
- Education: 2%
- Other: 17%
All applicants must submit an online application.
Academic Records or Transcripts*
Please provide copies of your academic records from each previously attended university along with proof of graduation from a Bachelor’s program.
For academic records that are not in English, applicants must also provide a certified English translation.
TOEFL or IELTS Score Report (international applicants only)*
Applicants whose first language is not English must submit a valid TOEFL (minimum 100) or IELTS (minimum 7.0 overall band) score. To see if you qualify for an English test waiver, please read Johnson’s Application Requirements.
GMAT or GRE Score Report*
A GRE or GMAT score report is required for all MBA applicants and cannot be waived. If you submit multiple scores, your highest score will be considered. There is no set GRE or GMAT score minimum to be considered for admission.
Your résumé must list your professional history (with dates of employment), academic background (with dates of attendance and graduation), and any skills or activities that are relevant for your admission into this program. Your résumé should be no longer than 2 pages in length.
In lieu of a traditional Personal Statement, Johnson Cornell Tech MBA applicants may submit an essay, website, video, and/or slide deck to answer the following questions:
1. Why are you applying to the Johnson Cornell Tech MBA?
2. What technical skills and professional experience do you have that are relevant for this program?
3. How would you uniquely contribute to your class and the greater Johnson and Cornell Tech communities?
4. What are your short- and long-term career goals after graduation?
While we encourage you to be as creative as you desire for this portion of the application, please abide by these guidelines:
– An essay (PDF or Word document) should answer all 4 questions in 500 words or less.
– A link should be to a reputable website that is in English. Links that may pose a security risk or that are not in English will not be reviewed. If your link requires a password, please include a supplementary essay with the password and/or any other required login information.
– A video should be under 3 minutes in length and uploaded to a reputable website (ex. YouTube, Vimeo).
– A slide deck must be uploaded directly to the application or to a reputable website. Links to a Google Drive will not be reviewed.
– If you submit a website that was not created specifically for this application, please include a supplementary essay that explains its relevancy.
– As our system only allows 1 URL and 1 attachment to be uploaded into this section, please do not submit more than 2 kinds of media for your Creativity Statement.
Please note that if your Creativity Statement extends beyond these guidelines, it may not be reviewed. Cornell Tech Admissions cannot individually advise applicants on their Creativity Statements. In general, we encourage you to be as concise as possible.
Letter of Recommendation
Your letter of recommendation should come from a current or former manager, supervisor, or someone who has worked with you in a professional capacity. We advise that you do not choose clients, co-founders, or colleagues to write your recommendation.
A nonrefundable $200 application fee is required in order to submit your application.
If you have any questions about the application or application process, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
*You may submit unofficial copies of your academic records and test scores for the application; however, if you are admitted and enroll, you will be required to submit official copies of these documents prior to matriculation. For more information, read Johnson’s Application Requirements.
For details about tuition, fees, and financial planning, please visit Cornell Tech's Tuition & Fees page.
To connect with a current Johnson Cornell Tech MBA student or recent graduate, please e-mail email@example.com.
- Access MBA Tour in New York - Mar 14, 2020