Lancaster University Management School
Lancaster University Management School
Meet this school
- Access MBA Tour in London - Mar 1, 2022
Lancaster is a global university with an international reputation for combining world-leading research with a personal educational experience. Lancaster’s academics are experts in their disciplines and their research has impact well beyond academia – improving lives and communities, whilst impacting business and global challenges. By studying with us, we invite you to be part of this global academic community.
Our long-established Management School is a place of cutting edge knowledge, where academically-leading research is applied in the real world, positively impacting the lives of individuals, businesses and organisations, and society.
At Lancaster University Management School you will find a truly international, established and ambitious community. We’re quadruple-accredited and world-ranked. Research is at the heart of our success and informs our teaching, pushes boundaries and transforms lives. Our collaborative approach and access to cutting edge knowledge makes us a beacon for top-talent; the place to be.
We deliver a full spectrum of undergraduate, postgraduate, PhD and executive programmes to help our students to excel and take the next step on their journey. Our graduates go on to lead, innovate, build new companies and develop ground-breaking research. We are highly ranked in a number of different subject areas.
Our full-time MBA and part-time Executive MBA programmes are highly ranked. The MBA programme is ranked 2nd in the world for corporate strategy (FT MBA Global Rankings 2021). The rankings for our MBA and Executive MBA programmes are:
- Full-Time MBA - 9th in the UK, 25th in Europe and 96th in the world (Financial Times MBA global rankings 2021)
- Full-Time MBA – 2nd in the world for Corporate Strategy (Financial Times MBA Global ranking 2021)
- Full-Time MBA – 8th in the UK, 66th in the world (The Economist Which MBA? Full time MBA rankings 2021)
- Executive MBA – 5th in the UK, 59th in the world (The Economist Which MBA? Executive MBA rankings 2020)
- Executive MBA – 77th in the world, 33rd in Europe (QS Global EMBA rankings 2021)
- Executive MBA – 43rd in the world for Thought Leadership (QS Global EMBA ranking 2021)
The Lancaster MBA, our flagship programme, enjoys a rich heritage and engaged community that is over 30 years in the making. Our alumni work in more than 90 countries to create positive and sustainable change in a variety of organisations and industries.
Our committed MBA team make sure our programme curriculum is constantly evolving to ensure our graduates acquire the skills, knowledge, and experiences they need to excel in contemporary business environments. Consistently remaining relevant and delivering excellence, the Lancaster MBA is built upon our expertise in strategy, social sustainability, and responsibility. Theory is contextualised through real examples and live cases, and learning is enhanced through a practice-based approach.
Our programme covers a wealth of different business areas including Marketing, Digital Innovation in Business, Strategic Management, Accounting & Finance for Managers, Business Economics, Operations Management, Responsible Management & Ethics, International Business in Context.
Practice-based learning is integral to the Lancaster MBA and usually includes regular visits to regional companies, guest lectures from our Entrepreneurs and Leaders in Residence, our alumni and other business leaders, alumni networking events, business consulting events in London and elsewhere, and our International Business in Context module.
Following our action learning ethos, The Lancaster MBA includes practical challenges at key points in the year. These challenges are exciting milestones which actively draw together and integrate your learning, enabling you to apply it to real-life business problems. The challenges move from short, intense simulations within the classroom, to longer real-life projects on a larger scale.
These challenges are critical for your development as a strategic leader, because you refine your skills in the safety of the classroom, with expert feedback, before moving on to live consultancy work. You also fully explore what it means to work collaboratively under pressure, which is critical to your success.
The Challenges are:
- Business Management Challenge: This challenge features a simulated environment in which students experience what it is like to run their own business, and have to make decisions throughout a 4-day intensive simulated experience.
- Entrepreneurship Challenge: Practice and learn what it is like to create your own business working with our network of Entrepreneurs in Residence.
- Consultancy Challenge: This challenge places you with a real small or medium sized company. You work on a consultancy basis to tackle a live problem, issue or opportunity within the organisation.
- Corporate Challenge: The programme culminates with this challenge, during which you work on a consultancy project for a major firm (in recent years examples have included, but are not limited to; Microsoft, Barclays, HSBC, National Rail).
Enrolling students from around the globe, our programme provides opportunities for collaboration and networking with worldwide business contacts, from our international network of nearly 2000 MBA alumni. Our students are encouraged to embrace, connect with, and learn from the rich and varied cultures they experience while in the programme. Lancaster University MBA students graduate as globally fluent leaders, ready to shape organisations, industries, and societies.
Lancaster MBA Requirements
2:1 Hons degree (UK or equivalent) in any subject.
We may also consider non-standard applicants, please contact us for information.
As part of your application you also need to provide/have:
- A minimum of three years' professional work experience since graduation. This should be evidenced by providing a copy of your current CV detailing your professional experience and achievements to date. Preference will be given to those who can demonstrate that they have strong business experience and have held significant managerial responsibilities. Please ensure that you include dates of employment and job titles on your CV
- Two good references - one from your current employer, and ideally the other from someone who can comment on your academic ability
- A detailed personal statement (minimum 500 words)
- An interview with a member of Lancaster's admissions team
- All successful applicants are required to provide one of the following: The Lancaster Admissions Essay or GMAT (with a minimum score of 580 and 4.0/6.0 in the Analytical Writing Assessment). GRE will be considered on a case by case basis. Details regarding the essay will be provided with your offer.
English Language Requirements:
We may ask you to provide a recognised English language qualification, dependent upon your nationality and where you have studied previously.
We normally require an IELTS (Academic) Test with an overall score of at least 7.0, and a minimum of 6.0 in each element of the test. We also consider other English language qualifications.
Full-Time Programme 2022/23: TBC (tuition fees for 2021/22 were £33,000)