Rochester-Bern Executive Programs
Switzerland - USA
Rochester-Bern EMBA (Thun, CH)
Rochester-Bern is a subsidiary of the Simon Business School at the University of Rochester. It is located at and closely cooperating with the Universität Bern. Founded in 1994, it offered the first U.S. MBA degree in Switzerland. Rochester-Bern Executive Programs is run through a foundation and financially self-supporting. Members of the foundation board are both business leaders or academics.
Facts and Figures
- Dual degree: Master of Business Administration (MBA) (Simon Business School University of Rochester) & Executive Master of Business Administration (EMBA) (Universität Bern)
- Participants: Academic or equivalent background and at least 5 years management experience OR 10+ years of managerial and leadership experience
- Start: January of each year
- Study model: Part-time
- Duration: 17 months
- Accreditation: AACSB International since 1966 (Simon Business School, University of Rochester)
- Presence: Biweekly on Fridays/Saturdays and two course blocks abroad
- Venues: Thun (Congress Hotel Seepark), Canton Bern, Switzerland / Rochester, Simon Business School, USA (4 week block) / Silicon Valley, USA (1 week, optional trip) / Shanghai, China (1 week block)
- Credits: 90 ECTS points
- Language: English
Students of the Rochester-Bern Executive MBA
The quality of an executive MBA program depends not only on its curriculum and faculty but also on its participants. Even though much of the content is taught either by faculty or via books and other learning materials, the exchange with fellow students is a crucial point and marks approximately 1/3 of the learnings.
Therefore, the composition of the class plays an important role. Classes of the Rochester-Bern Executive MBA Program are very heterogeneous. Participants have backgrounds ranging from business to engineering to medical studies. They work in different industries and different functional areas.
Learning from peers takes place both in discussions and interactions during the lessons as well as in project work that is done at home. During the program, students work in different teams over a certain period of time. Additionally, each class is joined by the parallel U.S. EMBA class on different occasions.
Admission & Application
Applicants may apply directly to the program or be nominated by their current employer. Selection is based on business experience, academic achievement, potential for professional growth, and the motivation and drive to succeed in a challenging executive MBA program. We are at your disposal to support you in the application process and to answer any questions you may have.
Applications can be submitted until November 15, 2018. Early applications by June 15 are encouraged and benefit from a discount of CHF 5,000. Those received by September 15 benefit from a discount of CHF 3,000. An application received after the deadline will be given consideration if space is available.
Tuition fees and expenses
The overall cost of the 17-month Rochester-Bern Executive MBA program is CHF 75,000 (tuition fees CHF 63,000, selected expenses CHF 12,000).
- Tuition fees: including online assessments and follow–up coaching sessions.
- Selected expenses: all required books/materials, cooperation with an alumni mentor, lunches and refreshments on regular class days in Switzerland, accommodation and some meals in Rochester and Shanghai, matriculation and exam fees as well as graduation.
After graduation, students continue their career path, equipped with new knowledge and ideas. There are different ways: some lead to ventures and self-employment, others lead to positions abroad or at the top of a company. Besides the individual progress, networking and getting together is an important aspect of being a graduate of an Executive MBA program. Graduates of the Rochester-Bern EMBA become members of both the international Simon Business School alumni association as well as of the Swiss based Rochester-Bern Alumni Association, the Simonites. These associations offer a valuable network of business people who share the same educational background.
Additionally, the alumni of the Rochester-Bern Executive MBA get the chance to be part of the following associations: the Swiss Association of MBAs (SAMBAplus) and Beta Gamma Sigma.
- Simonites: www.simonites.ch
- Simon Business School Alumni: http://www.simon.rochester.edu/alumni/simon-school-advancement/index.aspx
- SAMBAplus: www.sambaplus.ch
- Beta Gamma Sigma: www.betagammasigma.org