University of Geneva
Executive MBA (EMBA)
The University of Geneva (UNIGE) is highly regarded by all reliable University Rankings Tables, particularly for its international mix of both students and teachers. This international mix is particularly important to the university given the demographic of the city of Geneva. There are over 29,000 foreign civil servants working, 174 different states represented and 33 international organisations. Founded in 1559, UNIGE campus has 40% international students, and 60% international teaching staff, representing 153 nationalities.
With around 18,000 students, UNIGE is the second largest university in Switzerland and its numbers are constantly on the rise. UNIGE offers more than 290 programmes and more than 300 continuing education programmes covering a wide variety of fields such as exact sciences, medicine, humanities, social sciences, economics law, and much more. Over 100 of its programmes are taught on a bilingual or fully English platform. UNIGE experienced faculty is keenly aware of the need for today’s managers and business leaders; they use materials that help participants reflect upon learnings in the context of their organisations and that can be applied to their organisation daily challenges.
UNIVERSITY OF GENEVA MBA programs
Key principles: Multidisciplinary, Quality, International Dimension,
The Executive MBA (EMBA) at UNIGE, offer part-time tracks with a cutting-edge curriculum at the intersection of business and international public affairs. UNIGE MBA programs were first developed in two distinct market demands; they experienced a myriad of changes over the last couple of decades to keep up with the ever-evolving market demands, and the strategic advantage of its location with a specialised focus on International Organizations (IOs). Geneva is home to more than 20 major international organizations.
UNIGE MBA programs help participants gain in-depth knowledge and skills to integrate various levels of the organizations, an experience which represents an important catalyst for our participants to move up the ladder or to reflect on or change their career paths. It is a challenging but also rewarding once in a lifetime learning experience.
EXECUTIVE MBA (EMBA)
UNIGE EMBA, created in the late 1990s, is structured to ensure that participants gain leadership training through active participation, and a corporate executive perspective. It provides executives with a first-class general management education without interrupting their careers. It teaches participants to build foundational skills and confidence to expand their capacity to lead and face cross-functional challenges. UNIGE EMBA carefully selects the participant mix through a rigorous 4-step selection process to ensure a high quality peer-to-peer exchange.
Program Structure: a total of 90 ECTS credits including 24 modules and an In-Company EMBA project, available in two formats:
1) Traditional structure (bi-weekly): 24 modules scheduled on alternate week-ends (Fridays 2pm-9pm & Saturdays 8am-1pm), to be completed over two years. This format is ideal for the local manager wishing to gain leadership training through active participation and a corporate executive phylosophy.
2) Condensed structure (block format): 3 blocks of two courses combined with distance learning modules, and an EMBA Project, to be completed over two years. This format is ideal for the international student who is conscious of travel time, as well as the local Geneva student with a demanding full-time workload.
After completing the first year of the EMBA, students may join the Entrepreneurial Leadership program (bi-weekly - traditional MBA curriculum), or one of specialisations in English or French. Specializations in English: Entrepreneurial Leadership, Effective Leadership of IOs, Aviation Managemnt, and Commodity Trading.
Block format programs: Aviation and Commodity Trading
Program cost: CHF 38'500.-
Application deadline: May 31
Early Bird: March 1 (reduction of CHF 1500 on the total tuition upon acceptance)
Type of Course:
2-year Part-time MBA
University of Geneva: 2nd Most International University in the World (Times); 71st Leiden Rankings; 56th Shanghai Rankings
End of August
Length of Course:
24 modules + EMBA In-company Group project
Ratio of applicants to places: 3.5:1
Number of nationalities: 30
Percentage of international students: 60%
Men/Women Ratio: 70:30
Average Age Range: 35-45
Length of Work Experience:
EMBA: Average 11 years | Minimum 3 years at management level
- Bachelor Degree or equivalent
- Cover Letter
- Recommendation letter
- Strong command of English
Tuition CHF 38'500 (incl. CHF 5'000 Matriculation Fee)
The UNIGE MBA Programmes are designed for aspiring Business Leaders with functional or sectorial leadership experience seeking a career change or professional development opportunities and put their practice in perspective. Thus, this postgraduate education welcomes participants who come from various professional backgrounds from industry to services and from public to private sectors.
- Because of its reputation for excellence, admission to the EMBA Program is highly selective.
- Admission to the program is based on the candidate's application file; potentially qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.
- Great importance is attributed to the quality of academic record, personal motivation and relevance of the professional experience.
- University Degree, or equivalent (i.e. Bac+3,... )
- Pertinent work experience - 3 years minimum in a managerial position (excl. training sessions)
- Strong command of both written and spoken English
- Computer office tools (spreadsheet, word processor, presentation tools)
- Basic Accounting understanding (balance sheets/income statement, P&N, EBITDA) or ability to assimilate numbers and concepts
Late applications may be admissible upon space availability (subject to CHF 200.- late application fee - non-refundable)
The 4-step selection process may take 3-4 weeks.
- Validation of application & documents submitted online
- Quality check of the application / dossier
- One-hour interview with one of the EMBA alumni; only for candidates whose application is approved in Steps 1 & 2. It may be done via skype or zoom
- Final review & decision by the Directing Committee
Notification is sent to candidates by email.
HOW TO APPLY
The following documents must be uploaded on the online application platform:
NOTE: prepare all documents in pdf format before you start the application process (except for photo)
- Cover Letter *
- Letter of recommendation from your current employer *
- Complete resume *
- A copy of your University diploma(s) * / **
- Copy of your University grade transcripts **
- Work certificates, or copy of work contracts from past employers *
- A copy of your passport or ID card
- If Swiss residents, a copy of your "AVS" card or Health Insurance card
- A copy of your work permit, if applicable
- A passport / portrait photo (jpg format) - picture criteria
* Mandatory items which must be uploaded in order to validate your application.
** We will need notarized copies of these documents in case of accpetance
EXECUTIVE MBA (EMBA)
The overall cost of the EMBA may vary depending on the specialization selected in the 2nd year.
Ex.: Total cost for an EMBA in International Organizations (IO) or Entrepreneurial Leadership (EL - traditional MBA track): CHF 38,500.-
The above fee includes enrollment & matriculation fees, mandatory course materials & exams, and participation to most activities organized within the EMBA Program - divided as follows:
Matriculation - payable upon acceptance
1st year - 12 core courses
2nd year - 12 courses in International Organizations (IO) or Entrepreneurial Leadership (EL - Traditional EMBA track)
Or Specialization - see emba.unige.ch for costs & payment conditions
Individual EMBA modules (for non-EMBA students)
"This EMBA program has been an intensive experience that offered me the opportunity to work with many interesting people from various backgrounds all along the programme's modules. The balanced combination of hard and soft modules broaden my leadership skills and positively change my way of managing my company. Its international dimension addresses every facet of doing business across borders: finance, marketing, culture and so on. In a word, the EMBA provided by the University of Geneva is an intense intellectual and emotional challenge." Sébastien POMMARET - EMBA alumnus 2015-2017
I came to IO-MBA with five years of experience working in trade for development programs in Canada and abroad. IO-MBA has been one of the best decisions and most enriching experiences of my life. IO-MBA has come at a pivotal moment in my career, allowing me to grow as a professional and to fullfil a lifelong dream of working for the United Nations. I am now working on trade and labour issues at the International Labour Organization, to support global initiatives that improve working conditions in developing countries. (Katherine Mc Gregor, 2016-2017 student)