University of Geneva
Executive MBA / International Organizations MBA
The University of Geneva (UNIGE) is highly regarded by all reliable University Rankings Tables, particularly for its international mix of both students and teachers. This international mix is particularly important to the university given the demographic of the city of Geneva. There are over 29,000 foreign civil servants working, 174 different states represented and 33 international organisations. Founded in 1559, UNIGE campus has 40% international students, and 60% international teaching staff, representing 153 nationalities.
With around 18,000 students, UNIGE is the second largest university in Switzerland and its numbers are constantly on the rise. UNIGE offers more than 290 programmes and more than 300 continuing education programmes covering a wide variety of fields such as exact sciences, medicine, humanities, social sciences, economics law, and much more. Over 100 of its programmes are taught on a bilingual or fully English platform. UNIGE experienced faculty is keenly aware of the need for today’s managers and business leaders; they use materials that help participants reflect upon learnings in the context of their organisations and that can be applied to their organisation daily challenges.
UNIGE MBA programs
Key principles: Multidisciplinary, Quality, International Dimension, Partnerships
The International Organizations MBA (IOMBA) and Executive MBA (EMBA) at UNIGE, offer both full-time and part-time tracks with a cutting-edge curriculum at the intersection of business and international public affairs. UNIGE MBA programs were first developed in two distinct market demands; they experienced a myriad of changes over the last couple of decades to keep up with the ever-evolving market demands, and the strategic advantage of its location with a specialised focus on International Organizations (IOs). Geneva is home to more than 20 major international organizations.
UNIGE MBA programs help participants gain in-depth knowledge and skills to integrate various levels of the organizations, an experience which represents an important catalyst for our participants to move up the ladder or to reflect on or change their career paths. It is a challenging but also rewarding once in a lifetime learning experience.
Created in 1992, IOMBA is a unique program designed to attract world-class future managers of International Organizations (IOs), International Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) and Transnational Corporations (TNCs) from around the world. The IOMBA offers a multidisciplinary curriculum taught by faculty from worldwide leading universities as well as recognized professionals from IOs and NGOs. It offers part-time and full-time programs that can be completed in two or three years, leading to a Certificate (CAS), Diploma (DAS), or the MBA Degree.
IOMBA Program Structure (full-time): a total of 90 ECTS credits including 24 modules, a 3-month practicum and MBA Project, to be completed in one year.
IOMBA Program Structure (part-time): a total of 90 ECTS credits including 24 modules in blocks of 2 or 3 modules combined with blended learning (online) modules, and MBA Project, to be completed in two or three years.
CAS/DAS structure Program Structure: 4 to 12 modules as selected by participants, in a block-style or individual format over one or two years.
UNIGE EMBA, created in the late 1990s, is structured to ensure that participants gain leadership training through active participation, and a corporate executive perspective. It provides executives with a first-class general management education without interrupting their careers. It teaches participants to build foundational skills and confidence to expand their capacity to lead and face cross-functional challenges. UNIGE EMBA carefully selects the participant mix through a rigorous 4-step selection process to ensure a high quality peer-to-peer exchange.
EMBA Program Structure: a total of 90 ECTS credits including 24 modules and an In-Company EMBA project, available in two formats -
1) Traditional structure (bi-weekly): 24 modules scheduled on alternate week-ends (Fridays 2pm-9pm & Saturdays 8am-1pm), to be completed over two years. This format is ideal for the local manager wishing to gain leadership training through active participation and a corporate executive phylosophy.
2) Condensed structure (block format): 5 blocks of two courses combined with blended learning (online) modules, and an EMBA Project, to be completed over two years. This format is ideal for the international student who is conscious of travel time, as well as the local Geneva student with a demanding full-time workload.
After completing the first year of the EMBA, students may join the International Management program (block format) or the Entrepreneurial Leadership program (bi-weekly), both featuring as traditional MBA curriculum. Students may also pursue their studies in one of 15 specialisations in English or French. English Specializations in: Aviation, Commodity Trading, International Management, Modern Management for Non-Profit Organizations, and Strategic Marketing.
Block format programs: Aviation, Commodity Trading, and International Management.
Present at various MBA Fairs & Forums (see websites)
Type of Course:
IO-MBA & EMBA
One-year Full-time MBA
2-3 years Part-time MBA
University of Geneva: 2nd Most International University in the World (Times); 75th Leiden Rankings; 59th Shanghai Rankings
• One-year Full-time MBA & Part-time |: September
• CAS & DAS: flexible | on a rolling basis
EMBA: Part-time | End of August
Length of Course:
• Full-Time: 10 months + 3 month practicum + MBA project
• Part-Time: 2-3 years + MBA project
EMBA: Part-time 2 years + EMBA In-company project
Ratio of applicants to places: 3.5:1
Number of nationalities: 37
Percentage of international students: 60%
Men/Women Ratio: 70:30
IO-MBA Average Age Range: 25 - 35
EMBA Average Age Range: 35-45
Length of Work Experience:
IO-MBA: Average 5 years | Minimum 3 years
EMBA: Average 12 years | Minimum 3 years at a managerial position
- Bachelor Degree
- GMAT or GRE: Min 500 points for both the full-time and part-time tracks
- TOEFL 100/IELTS 7.0 for non-native English speakers
- Two references
- International Exposure
- Bachelor Degree
- Cover Letter
- Recommendation letter
- Strong command of English
IOMBA (full-time / part-time)
Enrollment/Registration fee CHF 1,500
Visa Services: CHF 1,000
Tuition fees CHF 37,000
Enrollment/Registration fee: CHF 5,000
Tuition CHF 29'500
Living expenses - estimate (housing, insurance, food, public transportation, miscellaneous): CHF 23,000 per year
The UNIGE MBA Programmes are designed for aspiring Business Leaders with functional or sectorial leadership experience seeking a career change or professional development opportunities and put their practice in perspective. Thus, this postgraduate education welcomes participants who come from various professional backgrounds from industry to services and from public to private sectors.
- Bachelor degree
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant work experience
- International exposure
- GMAT or GRE – 500 points
The program starts in the first week of September each year. Completed applications for the 2019/20 class will be considered in accordance with the application and decision dates given in the table below.
2019 / 2020 intake
15 November 2018
1 March 2019
30 May 2019
Admission decision by
15 December 2018
15 March 2019
15 June 2019
Applicants acceptance by
15 January 2019
15 April 2019
22 June 2019
Applications may be considered after the Round Three deadline on a space available basis only.
HOW TO APPLY
Candidates are requested to register and apply online through the IO-MBA application form. A completed application includes information concerning your educational and professional background and international experience. To complete and submit an online application, the following documents have to be uploaded:
- Motivational cover letter *
- Complete academic and professional resume (CV) *
- Copy of university diploma & grade transcript *
- Copy of passport or ID card *
- Passport style photo in electronic format (.jpg) *
- Official GMAT or GRE results **
- Professional reference letter **
- Academic reference letter (1) **
- Copy of official TOEFL results (2) **
- Copy of AVS Card or Swiss health insurance card (3) **
- Because of its reputation for excellence, admission to the EMBA Program is highly selective.
- Admission to the program is based on the candidate's application file; potentially qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.
- Great importance is attributed to the quality of academic record, personal motivation and relevance of the professional experience.
- University Degree, or equivalent (i.e. Bac+3,... )
- Pertinent work experience - 3 years minimum in a managerial position (excluding training sessions)
- Strong command of both written and spoken English
- Computer office tools (spreadsheet, word processor, presentation tools)
- Basic Accounting understanding (balance sheets/income statement, P&N, EBITDA) or ability to assimilate numbers and concepts
Late applications may be admissible upon space availability (subject to CHF 200.- late application fee - non-refundable)
The application process includes 4 steps which normally takes 3-5 weeks:
- Validation of application & documents submitted online
- Quality check of the application / dossier
- One-hour interview with one of the EMBA alumni for candidates whose application is approved in Steps 1 & 2. It is normally conducted in person; it may be done via skype, if necessary
- Review of validated applications and final decision by the Directing Committee
Notification is sent to candidates by email.
HOW TO APPLY
The following documents must be downloaded during the application process: (we advise you to prepare the documents in pdf format -except for your photo in jpeg format- before you start the application process):
- Cover Letter *
- Letter of recommendation from your current employer *
- Complete resume *
- A copy of your University diploma(s) * / **
- Copy of your University grade transcripts **
- Copy of your Secondary Studies Diploma (High School, Maturité, Bac...)
- Work certificates or letters/contracts from past employers *
- A copy of your passport or ID card
- If Swiss residents, a copy of your "AVS" card or Health Insurance card
- A copy of your work permit, if applicable
- A passport / portrait photo (jpg format) - picture criteria
* Mandatory items which must be uploaded in order to validate your application.
** We will need notarized copies of these documents in case of accpetance
INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATIONS MBA (IO-MBA)
Educational expenses (estimate in Swiss francs)
Tuition & Career Services
Total Educational Expenses
The enrolment fee is CHF 1,500. As of day one of the programme, should a participant decide to withdraw, 50% of the entire tuition fees are due. Should a participant leave the programme during the academic year, 100% of the tuition fees are still due. Should a participant not obtain his/her degree, tuition fees are not reimbursed.
EXECUTIVE MBA (EMBA)
The overall cost of the EMBA may vary depending on the specialization selected in the 2nd year.
Ex.: Total cost for an EMBA in International Management or Entrepreneurial Leadership (traditional MBA curricula): CHF 34,500.-
The above fee includes enrollment & matriculation fees, mandatory course materials & exams, and participation to most activities organized within the EMBA Program - divided as follows:
Enrollment / Matriculation - payable upon acceptance
This non-refundable fee guarantees your seat in the program
1st year - 12 core courses
2nd year - 12 courses in International Management (IM) or Entrepreneurial
Or Specialization - see emba.unige.ch for costs & payment conditions
Individual EMBA modules (for non-EMBA students; IM or EL only)
"This EMBA program has been an intensive experience that offered me the opportunity to work with many interesting people from various backgrounds all along the programme's modules. The balanced combination of hard and soft modules broaden my leadership skills and positively change my way of managing my company. Its international dimension addresses every facet of doing business across borders: finance, marketing, culture and so on. In a word, the EMBA provided by the University of Geneva is an intense intellectual and emotional challenge." Sébastien POMMARET - EMBA alumnus 2015-2017
University of Geneva | UniMail, 40 Bd du Pont d’Arve | 1205 Geneva, Switzerland
For further information:
IO-MBA Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
IO-MBA Website: http://iomba.unige.ch
IO-MBA Program Director: Prof. Tina Ambos
IO-MBA Program Manager: Mr. Philippe De Castro
EMBA Contact : email@example.com
EMBA website: http://emba.unige.ch
EMBA Program Directors: Prof. Sebastian Raisch & Prof. Markus Menz
EMBA Program Manager: Ms. Sun Zuchuat-Ji