University of Geneva
Executive MBA (EMBA)
The University of Geneva (UNIGE) is highly regarded by all reliable University Rankings Tables, particularly for its international mix of both students and teachers. This international mix is particularly important to the university given the demographic of the city of Geneva. There are over 29,000 foreign civil servants working, 174 different states represented and 33 international organisations. Founded in 1559, UNIGE campus has 40% international students, and 60% international teaching staff, representing 153 nationalities.
With over 18,000 students, UNIGE is the second largest university in Switzerland and its numbers are constantly on the rise. UNIGE offers more than 290 programs and more than 300 continuing education programs covering a wide variety of fields such as exact sciences, medicine, humanities, social sciences, economics law, and much more. Over 100 of its programs are taught on a bilingual or fully English platform. UNIGE experienced faculty is keenly aware of the need for today’s managers and business leaders; they use materials that help participants reflect upon learnings in the context of their organizations and that can be applied to their organization daily challenges.
UNIVERSITY OF GENEVA MBA program
Key principles: Multidisciplinary, Quality, International Dimension,
Founded in 1992, UNIGE MBA’s mission is to educate responsible leaders for a diverse and changing society.
The Executive MBA (EMBA) at UNIGE is a two-year part-time program which provides executives with a first-class general management education without interrupting their careers. UNIGE EMBA offers a cutting-edge curriculum at the intersection of business and international public affairs. It is structured to ensure that participants gain leadership training through active participation, and a corporate executive perspective, and build foundational skills and confidence to expand their capacity to lead and face cross-functional challenges.
UNIGE EMBA helps participants gain in-depth knowledge and skills to integrate various levels of the organizations, an experience which represents an important catalyst to help move up the ladder or to reflect on or change career paths.
During the first year, participants acquire the foundational knowledge and skills in business administration; in the second year, students take advanced level courses with a focus on the three core themes of our program: International Management, Organizational Responsibility, and Business Transformation.
STRUCTURE / ADMISSION
UNIGE EMBA carefully selects the participant mix through a rigorous 4-step selection process to ensure a high-quality peer-to-peer exchange.
Program Structure: a total of 90 ECTS credits including 23 modules and a Capstone group project.
Course structure: Friday 14.15-21.00 & Saturdays 8.00-13.00, every other week; some modules are on 3 consecutive full days.
Participants have the option to attend courses onsite or online.
Program cost: CHF 40'500.-
Application deadline: May 31, 2022
Early Bird: applications received before March 1 benefit from a reduction of CHF 1500 on the total tuition upon acceptance.
Type of Course:
2-year Part-time MBA
University of Geneva: 106th Leiden Rankings; 59th Shanghai Rankings
End of August
Length of Course:
Core modules + Advanced-level courses + Capstone Group project
Ratio of applicants to places: 3.5:1
Number of nationalities: 18
Percentage of international students: 60%
Men/Women Ratio: 44:56
Average Age Range: 35-45
Length of Work Experience:
EMBA: Average 11 years | Minimum 3 years at managerial level
- Bachelor Degree or equivalent
- Cover Letter
- Recommendation letter
- Strong command of English
Tuition CHF 40'500 (incl. the non-refundable CHF 5'000 Matriculation Fee)
The UNIGE MBA Programmes are designed for aspiring Business Leaders with functional or sectorial leadership experience seeking a career change or professional development opportunities and put their practice in perspective. Thus, this postgraduate education welcomes participants who come from various professional backgrounds from industry to services and from public to private sectors.
- Because of its reputation for excellence, admission to the EMBA Program is highly selective.
- Admission to the program is based on the candidate's application file; potentially qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.
- Great importance is attributed to the quality of academic record, personal motivation and relevance of the professional experience.
- University Degree, or equivalent (i.e. Bac+3,... )
- Pertinent work experience - 3 years minimum in a managerial position (excl. training sessions)
- Strong command of both written and spoken English
- Computer office tools (spreadsheet, word processor, presentation tools)
- Basic Accounting understanding (balance sheets/income statement, P&N, EBITDA) or ability to assimilate numbers and concepts
Late applications may be admissible upon space availability (subject to CHF 200.- late application fee - non-refundable)
The 4-step selection process may take 3-4 weeks.
- Validation of application & documents submitted online
- Quality check of the application / dossier
- One-hour interview with one of the EMBA alumni; only for candidates whose application is approved in Steps 1 & 2. It may be done via skype or zoom
- Final review & decision by the Directing Committee
Notification is sent to candidates by email.
HOW TO APPLY
The following documents must be uploaded on the online application platform:
NOTE: prepare all documents in pdf format before you start the application process (except for photo)
- Cover Letter *
- Letter of recommendation from your current employer *
- Complete resume *
- A copy of your University diploma(s) * / **
- Copy of your University grade transcripts **
- Work certificates, or copy of work contracts from past employers *
- A copy of your passport or ID card
- If Swiss residents, a copy of your "AVS" card or Health Insurance card
- A copy of your work permit, if applicable
- A passport / portrait photo (jpg format) - picture criteria
* Mandatory items which must be uploaded in order to validate your application.
** We will need notarized copies of these documents in case of accpetance
EXECUTIVE MBA (EMBA)
Total cost: CHF 40,500.-
The above fee includes enrollment & matriculation fees, mandatory course materials & exams, and participation to most activities organized within the EMBA Program - divided as follows:
Matriculation - payable upon acceptance (non-refundable)
1st year - 12 core courses
2nd year - Avanced level courses
Note: UNIGE EMBA does not offer scholarships
"I crossed path with the Self-Leadership program during my Executive MBA studies at the University of Geneva. Where to go in one's career and what to do with one's life are questions that are difficult to answer from one’s daily routine. This self-leadership program created an opportunity for me to bring out an inflection point, giving me an enlightening journey about my leadership style, personality and character - really beneficial for everyone, not just for managers and leaders." Andreas Werner - EMBA alumnus 2018
"This EMBA program has been an intensive experience that offered me the opportunity to work with many interesting people from various backgrounds all along the programme's modules. The balanced combination of hard and soft modules broaden my leadership skills and positively change my way of managing my company. Its international dimension addresses every facet of doing business across borders: finance, marketing, culture and so on. In a word, the EMBA provided by the University of Geneva is an intense intellectual and emotional challenge." Sébastien POMMARET - EMBA alumnus 2017